The ruined settlement was cleared in the late 1820’s with many members of its community emigrating to Canada in 1829. This took place during historically significant and well documented agricultural improvements, resulting in what is known as the Clearances. The school assisted by National Trust for Scotland rangers explored the site imagining how people had lived during a long period of occupation. They learned about the natural resources the location offered such as soil quality, access to water stone for building and the position of the sun (south facing). They learned about what was grown in the small enclosed fields, grazed on the hill, collected from the shore, caught in the river and sea, and how peat as fuel was cut from the moors above.